In this recipe:
Variety Pack (6 Pack)
$37.99 CADViEW PRODUCT
Autumn Apple Pasta Salad
Whoever said that pasta salads are a summer dish has yet to try this autumnal apple and sage delight! This savoury pasta salad will get you rethinking your go-to list of party dishes this fall, that is if you can bring yourself to share. The recipe was actually born out of a happy accident, but more than redeemed itself in the flavour department, so it happily became its own recipe.
Made with the unexpected combination of crisp apples and sage, browned butter and nutrient-packed Chickapea penne noodles, it will fill your home with the aromas of fall. It is easy to make and is vegan, gluten-free and nut-free.
Autumn Pasta Apple Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Salad
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Servings: 12
- 1 package Chickapea Penne
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp of fresh sage
- ¼ cup oat milk, unsweetened
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp basil, dried
- 2 apples, chopped
- Prepare Chickapea Penne to package instructions (heat 16 cups of water in a large pot over high heat until boiling. Add pasta, decrease heat to maintain a gentle boil. Stir and cook pasta for 7 minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, add the vegan butter to a large pan over med-low heat.
- Melt the butter and brown until a white layer of foam begins to appear (roughly 2 minutes).
- Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- When the butter becomes golden add the sage and cook on low until the sage begins to curl.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the oat milk.
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cool water.
- Place the pasta in a mixing bowl and pour browned butter mixture over top.
- Cut the apple into the pasta bowl and stir.
- In a jar mix together vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt and dried basil.
- When the pasta is cool, pour the dressing over top and mix well.
- Let pasta sit for 30 or more minutes to achieve the best consistency.
- Serve as a side or at a party.
- This recipe can easily be duplicated for a larger group.
- Oat milk has been used in this recipe because of its thickness. It is also gluten-free, vegan and nut-free so it makes a great option for parties. Any plant milk may be substituted in this recipe with success, but the thicker the plant milk the better.
- This recipe can be made the day ahead and stored covered in the fridge until ready to consume.
- It is a very rich recipe and best enjoyed in small portions.
- If you don’t enjoy the taste or crispy sage, the leaves can be picked from the brown butter mixture before adding it to the pasta.