In this recipe:
Variety Pack (6 Pack)
$37.99 CADViEW PRODUCT
Sloppy Joe Penne Casserole
Sloppy Joes are a classic dish and nostalgic for many, bringing to mind fun camp meals or an eagerly requested dinner as a child. This recipe combines all the deliciousness of those childhood memories with a healthy boost from Chickapea pasta. It is gluten-free, vegan, and nut-free, making it a great recipe to share with almost anyone.
Sloppy Joe Penne Casserole
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Servings: 6
Worcestershire Sauce Ingredients (Vegan, Gluten-Free):
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 2 ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp all spice seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 package Chickapea penne
- 1 Tbsp salt, (for cooking pasta)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 package of vegan, gluten-free veggie ground (350-450g)
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cups plain tomato sauce, (unflavored)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, (vegan, gluten-free recipe included)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder, divided (a pinch for cooked noodles)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Finishing salt to taste
Worcestershire Sauce Instructions:
- Add all ingredients into a small pot with a lid
- Whisk the ingredients until the Dijon until it is fully incorporated into the mixture
- Cover the mixture with a lid
- Cook the mixture on medium-low until it reaches a light simmer
- Remove the sauce from the stove and let it return to room temperature
- Heat avocado oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and red bell pepper to the pan, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, and paprika to the pan, stir well until fully incorporated.
- Add the veggie ground to the pan and cook for 10 minutes until warmed through, stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare Chickapea penne to package specifications, (heat 16 cups of water in a large pot over high heat until boiling. Add pasta and 1 Tbsp of salt to the water, decrease heat to maintain a gentle boil. Stir and cook pasta for 7 minutes).
- Drain the pasta and rinse with warm water.
- Transfer the pasta to the bottom of a casserole dish and mix with 2 Tbsp vegan butter and a sprinkled pinch of salt and a pinch of chili powder.
- Evenly spread the penne into the bottom of the pan.
- Top the pasta with the sloppy joe mixture.
- Place the casserole pan into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked casserole from the oven and sprinkle with chili flakes and finishing salt to taste.
- Allow the dish to cool for 3-4 minutes then serve.
- Worcestershire sauce recipe makes roughly 1 ½ cups, only 1/3 cup used in this recipe.
- Store unused Worcestershire sauce in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.
- Serve with bread and butter pickles or dill pickles on the side to enhance the “Sloppy Joe” experience.
- Gardein beefless ground is a great frozen option for veggie ground that is vegan and gluten-free.